Le Tarif de Premiere Necessite (TPN) - Cheaper electricity bills for those on a low income

Sarahd

Hello everyone. An older woman I know (now retired) is struggling generally with the rate of exchange etc. & things getting quite desperate for her.

She has asked me about a special electricity tarif that people on a low income can obtain from EDF & other suppliers in France. Provided, of course, they are declared & registered as being resident in France. Which she is.

I am trying to find out some more info. on this. It's called "Le Tarif Premiere Necessite". I have limited info. but understand this permits you to obtain a reduction on your "abonnement" & also a reduction in rate for the first 100 kwh for each month.

I think it is valid for one year (i.e. each individual year) after annual validation of your right/eligibility courtesy of l'assurance maladie / CPAM.

From what we can make out to benefit from this you have to qualify as a "social inferieur" (!?!) who is eligible for "la Couverture Maladie Universelle Complementaire". I think income for this per month must be below about euro 620,00 and have a contract for electricity 3 to 9 kVa based upon "heures pleines / heures creuses".

Above is based upon what a French neighbour has written down for her.

Can anyone help me with this?

I presume she has to talk to CPAM / L'Assurance Maladie.

Obtain & fill-in relevant qualifying forms.

Armed with suitable evidence contact EDF to obtain the special tariff.

Has anyone good knowledge of this or has already gone through this process who could guide us?

Sincere thanks in advance,

Sarah

To receive the reduced tariff, your friend must be a recipient of the CMU-C in the first instance and also have an electricity supply of no more than 9 kVA (this info is shown on the back of the electrify bill, just below the reading).

To apply for CMU-C, your friend must first complete this form.

If she qualifies, her electricity supplier will send her a letter to complete in order to activate the reduced tariff.

Your friend will need to re-apply for CMU-C cover on a yearly basis. More info on CMU-C here.