What's Cooking?

Daisyd4060

I plan to move to the Dordogne this summer (I am currently working in Scotland) and hope to work as a cook and/or housekeeper for people looking to hire someone who can speak fluent English. My question is really would it be a safe enough bet to rent a property and then advertise for work or should I really have something in place first? Would an agency be the first port of call - or would being self employed be the best option in France?

I would love to hear from anyone doing a similar thing who could advise. Thanks!

I have seen an agency advertising for staff but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It was a womans name, ie first and last names. Paris is the place I think.

Apart from that, have you tried the UK Agencies? If you go into a French home they might reasonably expect you to speak French whilst an English family probably wouldn't care.

If you are looking to rent a property in the traditional sense, rather than taking a long term gite, then I think you will find it difficult without having work in place. Most agencies and landlords want to see proof of income to the value of several times the rent in order to protect themselves from laws which give all the rights to the tenents.

Bonne chance.

Henry