qualifications needed to teach English?

hoverfrog

the OH has recently done a TEFL course, as part of the 'expanding skill set' brief prior to getting a job when we migrate. As he enjoyed it so much, he was wondering what the qualifications needed were to teach this sort of thing in France - probably at the level of businesses / tech colleges / what ever! - I'm not sure extra curricular studies for 'priviledged' schoolkids would quite be his thing!

"Her indoors" is a British qualified PGCE (French and German) and has a TEFL from a good college but she cannot teach in a French state school with these qualifications.  She is currently working for a private school in Geneva (where most of the English teachers have only TEFL as a qualification).

As far as I am aware there are no requirements to have any qualification to teach in a private institution (it depends on what they want).

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the level of fees chargeable for one-to-one lessons and also for teaching to small groups (eg. business employees, etc).  I will being going to France with a TEFL qualification, and am wondering if this is a realistic way to look at making a living.  Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Claire

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am teaching English to business people for a Chambre d'Commerce et Industrie.  Not difficult to get work if you have the CELTA qualification but the pay is diabolical.  Barely enough to keep the wolf from the door.  Depending on where you live there is private work around.  I am in a university town so charge 20 euros per hour and usually prefer to do lessons of 1.5 hours.  Others I know charge 15 euros per hour.