Finding first job - Things to do ?

pigiron

My son of 22 has decided to join us and live permanently in France.

As my wife and I have fortunatley not needed to find work here we are a bit in the dark as what to do, we are registered for health but thats as far as our experience goes. To avoid any embarrassment at a later date he wants to do things by the book so any advice on the subject would be most welcome.

Before looking for a job should he register with social security / Job Centre equivalent?

I have heard that for job seekers there are language courses paid for by the state, is this true?

Would he be entitled to any state benefits / training courses etc whilst looking for work?

He will have no entitlement any money. You will be expected to keep him. He may be able to go onto your health care initially as a dependant, but you would need to check up on that with Newcastle.

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about free language courses, his first port of call will be the ANPE though and the ASSEDIC, chicken and egg with this. In some regions it would seem that the ASSEDIC should be visited first in others the ANPE, ours is the ANPE first.

Yes in our region it's ASSEDIC first then ANPE!

Re money I agree with Teamedup, until he's worked in France (900 odd hours is it? I know there's another post re this) he won't get any money. Especially as he's under 25 and french families are expected to support their offspring if they've no work.

Re the french courses - yes, they are available. We're having 9 hrs a week but the level of the french is determined by the group members and we've lots of beginners so we're not being pushed - but any french is good so we keep going and we'll receive a written evaluation at the end we can show to employers if needed. In our region they're 12 weeks long so it'll depend where in the cycle it is as to how long he has to wait. I think if people still need support after that other french courses are available but in our group that will only be available to those who only knew Bonjour at the start and so have still a long way to go. Other training courses are available with ANPE but it'll depend on his level of french and current skills level.