Small Sideline?

RichardA

Hello everyone,

I have very recently become resident in France. I have a very minor sideline that brings in currently about £1500 a year. It's selling a software program I've written, and is for UK residents who pay me in £ into a UK bank account. This is currently registered in the UK as a sole trader operating under the Small Earnings Exemption (so no Class 2 National Insurance), as I already pay full UK employees Class 1 NI contributions.

As my 'bum' is now located in front of a French internet connection rather than a UK one, what are the requirements for declaring this interest in France, if any? And is there any suitable regime I should use for this (the income is likely to remain relatively minor). I've read a little about Micro-BICs etc but am somewhat confused still!

As background, my main employment is in the UK and I pay tax there (commuting back to France for my days off), although I am registered with the Impots in France too as a French resident, although my current French tax liability is very minor.

I read somewhere that 'companies' can remain registered in the UK for a year or two before having to rebase in France, although I've no idea if this is applicable. I realise I should enlist the help of a proper accountant, but as it's more of a hobby that seems a little excessive if I can avoid it.

Many thanks for any tips you can give me,

Richard

I would have thought that it would be worthwhile to declare this in France too as you already have some liability here and presumably make a tax return. If you have paid tax on this amount in the UK then at the end of the day you should not pay tax twice due to double taxation agreements.

Ian,

Thanks for the reply. It wasn't whether or not to declare it on my French tax return, my query was more about what the best way to do this was?

In the UK it went on the 'self-employed' section of the tax return, and just wondered if anyone knew the equivalent way of declaring a very small enterprise such as this? i.e. do I declare it as regular income, or do I use a 'micro-BIC' or something else? I do have a certain amount of expenses I would like to offset against the income if possible.