What will I do?

irlandais

Hello all,

I'm going to Nantes for 6 months and I'd like suggestions as to what I could do while I'm there.  I should probably point out that this isn't just some random trip! I'm moving over with my (French) girlfriend while she completes her degree.  I've just finished a degree in Computer Science, however my French skills are comme ci comme ca.

From what I know the unemployment rate is far higher here than at home and coupled with my poor French I'd say it would be more productive if I use the time to improve my language skills. 

So I'd appreciate any information or advice you have regarding courses available or alternatives.  Otherwise if you need someone with excellent computer skills (also satellite & TV!) for a job in the area I'd be very interested!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

With regard improving your language skills, I suggest you contact the University, there's a French as a Foreign Language centre ([email protected] is the admin officer).

For employment opportunities, go to the CROUS (www.crous-nantes.fr) which is on the main campus in Nantes (censive du Tertre) as they have job offers; nothing revolutionary, these are the kind of addresses that your girlfriend would probably know about, being French...

Otherwise, perhaps you could get in touch with Nantes Atlantique Welcome (Marielle Lescuyer [[email protected]]) an association which looks after new arrivals in Nantes, if nothing else, you might be able to do some (unpaid) work for the association and a) meet people, b) keep an ear out for job opportunities since it's run by the chamber of commerce.

If you're interested in anything else, do send me a mail - I live in Nantes.

Good luck.

Katie