child benefit, and class three NI contributions...help please!!

andy c

We are moving to the Dordogne start Aug this year. For a year hopefully not more then two, I will not be working except that is for renovationg the barn, anyway, no earned income. We have income from the sale of our Uk house that will last us. My questions are, a) I will pay french tax and social charges on the interest on our capital. Does this pay towards a French state pension?? I could continue to pay UK class 3 but thats around 700 quid a year for me and my wife which I'm happy to do, but won't I be payin g twice ?? Also. we have two kids aged ten and twelve. How do I claim the child benefit over in France?? I bet this has all been asked before,but any advice would be very welcome. Cheers.

Complicated:

what counts for the french is time worked ie having a full pension paying history that could be covered in more than one country. That includes those times that the UK would cover your payments for ie unemployment, long term sickeness too as well as full time work, paying full contributions. So if ever you are eligible for a french pension then the french would take into account that time in the UK. The two countries pensions systems aren't financially linked though. 

Also, if you aren't working then you won't be paying into the french pension system via any money you pay to say the social security here, they are quite separate things in France.

Depending on what you plan on for your future's it may be best to continue your class 3 contributions, why not discuss this with Newcastle, at the end of the day it will be up to you though.

When you become resident and apply to the CAF they will sort out your child benefit.

www.caf.fr

edited