English lawyers?

suzi04

Does anyone know of anyone in the legal profession who has moved from England to France? My brother-in-law is a lawyer in Britain, is contemplating re-locating to France and would like advice as to what the options are with regards to practicing here / re-qualifying etc.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

My better half has given up trying after a year and a half. His french is basic and nowhere near good enough re the technical vocabulary. The legal vocab is acknowledged as the most difficult barrier of all the professional vocabs. This works both ways as we know french lawyers who are battling with english legal terminology too. The system of law is completely different, in concept, drafting and practice.  Some of french law has left us fairly amazed to be honest (company and family). It's been very disappointing. However there are young graduates now qualifying in both systems and they are getting good jobs, although mostly in Paris, if that's where you want to live.

We didn't and in the regions there are extremely limited opportunities for English lawyers. A few for property lawyers maybe, helping English buyers, but that's not really too much in the way of a career option. If your husband is experienced and at a senior level, it is quite weird how the system is different eg in England you are appointed a partner whereas in a french law firm you have to buy your partnership.

Anyhow good luck as think it is probably possible in Paris depending on his specialty and how bilingual he is. Having said that, we do know a NZer who speaks very little french who is employed by an American law firm in Paris. International options may be easier than french firms.

Not that this will be of much use - but for what it's worth I used to work for an English lawyer in Paris. He was qualified under both legal systems. His law degree and LPC were done in the UK, so I assume at some point he must have transferred across. His French was fluent which I am sure is a necessity. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I know it can be done!