Extremely confused

kb

Hi,

Wonder if somebody maybe able to clear this up for me, once and for all?

I have the opportunity of working in France, from home, as I do here in the UK.  I will still be paid and apparently I can obatain a No Tax code, so my employer can pay me, untaxed, so I can pay tax in France.  I do not want to go down the self employed route, so legally how can I do this, as I am taking into account how I would pay charges etc for health care.  Somebody has mentioned form E101 to me, which allows you to work in a foreign country temporarily.  So confused, any ideas anyone?

I'm not surprised you are confused, it can get very complicated.

This discussion might help, particularly as far as E101 is concerned http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/631913/ShowPost.aspx

This might also be of interest, but it's very much an unknown quantity http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/630138/ShowPost.aspx

I don't see any difficulty over tax, the sticking point is how you arrange your social security cover and health insurance. Despite what one of the topics above indicates, it isn't normally possible for Europeans to have private medical insurance, retirement funds etc. in France, you have to pay in to the state-based systems. If your employer is able to pay your French employer's contributions and give you a French employment contract, no problem. The trouble is, that means setting up a French subsidiary company just to employ you, something which few employers are prepared to do. In that case, as previous members of this forum have found, you become personally liable for all the cotisations, which can take about two thirds out of what you were paid.

As a matter of interest, was it you who asked something very similar at Total France?

Hands up, yes that was me, I have spent most of the day trying to fathom this all out.  So, if I were to make vol contributions to health care and stuff, really Im heading back towards being self employed again?  No dont think the company I work for would set up a sat office.  So basically this is impossible to do without being self employed or a sat office being set up.  Say that you didnt pay into health system but just tax, and then if you were ill, just paid for it?

[quote user="kb"]Say that you didnt pay into health system but just tax, and then if you were ill, just paid for it?[/quote]

I don't think this is an option, unfortunately. But perhaps somebody else has a definitive answer? You might consider working through a portage company (do a search for 'portage') but having no personal experience of this I don't know if it would apply to you. Anyway, it only seems to offer a partial solution at the best, you still have to pay your dues to the French authorities at the end of the day.