Cotisations, assurances etc etc etc

Kergohy

I know there are lots of threads on all the things you have to pay out as an employer but what I was really hoping for was someone who could point me in the right direction?  My not-yet-husband has a building company in the UK and has registered for TVA in France for any work carried out here.  I am just about to become resident here (France - sorry!). 

What I am trying to find out is what he, as an employer, will have to do to take on an employee in France while remaining a UK company?  There is a local resident who would be ideal and who is eligible for the new CIRMA 'get back in to work' contract.  Obviously we know about the assurances needed for the nyh to do building work in France, but is there anyone who can give us a bit of info?  My French is reasonable but I'm getting completely lost with all the websites full of writing!! ....[8-)]

Practical advice borne out of experience in a similar field would be so much appreciated ...

Have you ever seen a French pay slip? It's truly a sight to behold for complexity and incomprehensibility. Such things are obligatory under French employment law, and even French entreprises use an accountant to deal with things like that. You will almost certainly need an accountant to deal with TVA, especially in the building business where at least two different rates (5.5% and 19.6%) are chargeable. So the best advice I can offer is to find a good expert comptable with experience in employment matters, preferably one who understands the British VAT system and international law. You will have to pay fees, but when you consider that employing somebody will cost you about 40% of the salary you pay that person, plus around 45% or more of your own income in social charges, it puts accountants' charges into perspective, and it will be money well spent.

I am pretty much certain that, other than for very small jobs or temporary assignments for a non-French EU citzen, any employee in France has to be employed by a French company. That means either setting up a French subsidiary of the British company, or sub-contracting to a registered tradesman. Presumably your nyh has already taken the first steps to establishing a French company if he has got a TVA number.

Thanks Will - the nyh has covered himself by VAT registration in France, but remains a UK company.  Eventually, there will also be a French company (Gawd help us!) but not just for the mo.  Might be easier to use the new version of the cheque emploi, but why o why does France make it so hard to get people off the unemployable list..... Will also have a chat with the ANPE on Monday - if they're keen enough to find a new home for someone on RMI, there might be something they know about.... Here's hoping!

i hope you are keeping the french company completely separate from the english company. If you are opening a susidery of the english company and you decide to close it down in the future  the british company can be pursued for any outstanding costs  remember Marks & spencer in france