Taxi Licensing

Gunner

To become a licenced taxi driver you have to attend a week's stage de gestion at the local Chambre de Metiers. We had a young lady wishing to do this when we did our original stage and she now runs a success ful business locally. The chambre de Metiers is the place to enquire first.

Thanks Val. Was the lady english & if so, is she local enough that you would know how we can get in touch with her? It would be really interesting to talk to her as I am sure there is more to do in terms of licensing. We currently run a taxi business in England, which is a nightmare in terms of licensing & I am sure it must be just as bad over here, knowing how they love their red tape!!

My plan is to concentrate on airport for work for English clients, rather than a general taxi service (I had enough of those hours in England I'm afraid). Of course, it is necessary to have a good understanding of French to run a business here (I do have a business here already) but obviously it would be easier to be able to speak to someone in English regarding a potentially complicated procedure, but many thanks for your advice. I will start at the Chambre de Metier and see what that brings.

In our village, the thing that makes our taxi service the most money is being a VSL, or medical taxi.  I used them myself for a recent out patient surgical procedure in Toulouse, which is 90 minutes or so away.  If your doctor gives you a prescription, it's paid for by social security and mutuelle, including any tolls.  You might want to look into that as well, especially if you're in an area with a lot of people who don't drive.

PG