Importing goods

Cazs

We are setting up a business importing goods from Asia. These goods are CE standard marked, which for the rest of Europe would be satisfactory however, we are told they need to be FR certified. Does anyone know how to get the goods FR registered?

I'm sorry I can't answer your question but I am delighted to hear that there is a requirement to submit goods for NF certification.  From past experience, I know that many eastern low cost manufacturers simply mark their products with a CE symbol when in fact they dont even come close to the required standard. That's the big problem with the CE self certification system. It's all too easy to simply put a CE mark on items just as it is to put a nike logo on a pair of trainers or foorball shirt.

If the UK processes for BS certification are anything to go by - and in general the French seem to be even more stringent - it's not that simple, can take a lot of time and cost a lot of money. I hope, for your sake, that it isn't that difficult in France and that you find your products do in fact conform to the required standard.

Good luck with it and please report back to let us know how you get on.

[quote user="Cazs"]We are setting up a business importing goods from Asia. These goods are CE standard marked, which for the rest of Europe would be satisfactory however, we are told they need to be FR certified. Does anyone know how to get the goods FR registered?[/quote]

It rather depends on what your "goods" are, as to whether they require NF marking, type approval, or whatever. CE marking is pretty irrelevant unless you have the certification stating to which standard they conform. Some products (electrical eg.) require all sorts of certifications. Your best bet is to start with the Normes Francais people (as you would with the BSI in the UK).

My experience suggests that it is easier to import via the UK, as (in most cases) the standards are Europe-wide.

I can't help much with your original question, but if you are

interested in a contact based in Bali, I can put you in touch with

someone currently in the exporting trade who is looking for markets in

France.  Let me know.