Where do they need Radiographers?-update re.Validation of Qualifications

Me&Mi

My Husband and I are moving to France next year.  Initially we'll go for a year and hopefully we'll find work.  I'm a Radiographer and am in the process of getting my qualification validated.  Does anyone know if there is anywhere in France that is short of hospital workers?  We haven't decided on an area yet and would like to hear any positive info(for us  :) ) regarding a lack of Radiographers.  Thanks in advance.

I was a radiographer many, many moons ago and looked into renewing my qualifications earlier this year.  From my research, it appears that EVERYWHERE is short of them!  So, you can probably choose your region based on where you want to live, more than anything else.

PG

There are certainly shortages of all kinds of staff in hospitals, so I am sure there is a need for radiographers. You would need to have very good language skills to work in a French hospital. How transferable your qualifications are would sem to depend on how badly the hospital needs more radiographers, and whether or not it has the funds to pay for them. The French health service is suffering the same sort of funding crisis as the NHS in Britain, though it seems less inclined towards cutbacks.

Thank you both for your replies.  My French isn't too bad.  I finished a degree in French in 1998.  I am very rusty though so would need to be in France for a while before I'd be confident enough to ask for a job.  This is why I've enquired into anyone's knowledge as to the lack of radiographers in any regions.  I don't want to settle into a place for a few months only to find I can't get a job. Any other more specific replies would be greatly appreciated, although I know this is an uncommon job!  Possumgirl, hello fellow radiographer - Once a radiographer, always a radiographer!!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I am also a radiographer who had this idea of working as a radiographer in France but my lack of scientific French has held me back. After 20 years in the NHS though, I think I've had enough! Have you looked at the French radiography web site? The address is www.afppe.com and they do advertise vacant posts on it. Bon chance!

• 6 months later...
I've just been contacted by someone asking about Validation of Radiography qualifications.  Here is how I did it, in case anyone else needs this information

Here is the link to the article I used to get information about what to do: www.e-radiography.net/careers/europeaneducation.pdf

This is the particular section you need:

FRANCE

Ministère de l’emploi et de la

solidarité, Direction générale de la

santé, Sous direction des

professions de santé, Bureau des

professions paramedicales, 1, Place

de Fontenoy, 75350 Paris 07,

France

Handwritten request for authorization to work stating profession.

Copy of passport with certification of conformity, Copy of education programme with certification of

conformity, Certification of work in the country of origin.

FRENCH (sworn translation)

All my documents had to be

translated by an official translator and stamped as sworn

translations.  I got letters from all the places I worked

outlining my experience and employment dates.  I had to get a copy of my education programme(D.C.R.stamped by

the Society of Radiographers in England to say it was a true copy). 

All the documents(copies of all) I sent off were stamped at my local

police station with a handwritten note by the policeman to say that the

copies were true copies of the original documents(including the copy of

my passport).  We don't have "Certificates of conformity" in Ireland

but the police stamp worked.

All document must be sent registered

post.  One thing I would let you know about is that in France you need

to have experience in Radiotherapy and Nuclear Medicine.  If these

subjects were not part of your training(they weren't in mine) then you

will need to get some work experience in these areas.  If you do not,

they will make you either sit an exam or do four full weeks of work

experience in an approved hospital (i.e. 8 weeks if you've no

experience!).  Getting this work experience in your own country before

you apply might be easier, I don't know.  If you are completely fluent

in French and don't mind two months without pay then go for it in

France!

I think it cost me about

€3000 euro for all the translation and paying for copies of

certificates and education programme etc.

Best of luck to anyone applying.