Working from Home

Theresa

Hi

My husband and I are planning to move to our house in France this year. I would

like to work from home as a beauty therapist.

Would be grateful for any info regarding working from home, tax implications etc.

I would take out public liability insurance, but need to know of any other outgoings

that I would need to pay for?

Any help out there?

Thanks

Working as a beauty therapist

1. Firstly, note that 'beauty therapist' (institut de beauté) is one of many regulated activities in France, along with numerous personal services such as hairdressing, massage etc, and you need to check that you have qualifications that are acceptable in France. You could check with a European organisation called NARIC which has a representative office in UK as a start.

2. Working from you own house is normally allowed but may be subject to planning permission and special requirements in the case of  premises used for beauty treatments. (In an apartment block or other co-ownership building you need to talk to the syndic as there are normally rules about nuisance; noise, numbers of clients calling etc).

3. You would pay the usual social security charges as a self-employed person (around 3000 euros in the first year) and tax at the usual rates. As decribed elsewhere in this forum there are various micro-business régimes, and the choice of whether to set up as self-employed or a small limited company.

4. Your point of contact/registration will normally be the Chambre des métiers and I think you should contact them without delay particuarly in regard to points 1 and 2 above before you go too much further.

I hope this information helps,

Peter-Danton de Rouffignac