Working in france quandary

dexter

I am due to retire from the police service very shortly and am looking to relocate to France soon afterwards.

Prior to becoming a police officer some 27 years ago I was a `Time served` joiner with all the relevant qualifications, (City and guild, ONC In building).

I have `kept my hand in` as they say in relation to my skills over the years and on my retirement would want to take to my tools again. However, I don`t want to work full time but just need to keep the grey matter ticking over.

Having read a number of articles within the forums on accredited qualifications,health care cost for those in employment etc etc my quandary is,

1, Would my qualifications be recognised after so long?

2,If I only wanted to `potter` around with joinery would the cost of healthcare and insurance etc be far too great to make it worth it.

Any help or thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.     

Edited by Russethouse to make the type easier to read - hope thats OK Dexter ![:)]

[quote user="dexter"]

I am due to retire from the police service very shortly and am looking to relocate to France soon afterwards.

Prior to becoming a police officer some 27 years ago I was a `Time served` joiner with all the relevant qualifications, (City and guild, ONC In building).

I have `kept my hand in` as they say in relation to my skills over the years and on my retirement would want to take to my tools again. However, I don`t want to work full time but just need to keep the grey matter ticking over.

Having read a number of articles within the forums on accredited qualifications,health care cost for those in employment etc etc my quandary is,

1, Would my qualifications be recognised after so long?

2,If I only wanted to `potter` around with joinery would the cost of healthcare and insurance etc be far too great to make it worth it.

Any help or thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.     

Edited by Russethouse to make the type easier to read - hope thats OK Dexter ![:)]

[/quote]

Welcome

1.   Probably not I'm afraid. Your experience (or lack thereof) over the past 27 years would count for more.

2.   It really isn't possible to earn a living working part-time (as a self-employed person) in France, as you will find the charges more than you earn.

I assume that you will have a Police pension, but are under retirement age. You should be able to live off this in France (if you can live off it in the UK), if you can't then I'm afraid that you will need to do alot more research!

Carpentry and joinery (menusierie) like most other building trades are "regulated occupations" in France for which formal qualifications are generally required. As a starter you could check if your City& Guilds etc can be recognised under the EU "mutual accceptance of qualifications" rules by contacting an EU organisation called NARIC (you'll find them on the web) set up to do just this. They have an office in UK.

Regarding earning a living, as other replies indicate this is difficult due to the French high social costs which make it very hard to earn a little extra here. That said, you might find seasonal/part-time work depending where you live. I am in a resort on the Mediterranean coast and as we are just ahead of the summer season everyone is getting their apartment/café/hotel/gite ready for the summer and tradesmen are extremely busy. There is also a ban on noisy work during July and August so everyone has to get the work done before then. This type of season employment might suit you.

Another avenue to explore is the general category of "property maintenance" - for example, for apartment blocks, campsites etc. I have friends who do this and they are earning more money than me!

So do a bit of research, look around and don't be discouraged, I'm sure you will find an opening somewhere.

Good luck, Peter-Danton de ROUFFIGNAC