Can I legally work for someone for free to get experience?

Malnoueans

I am a fully qualified accountant - qualified in the UK that is, with a lot of experience. My French is OK; I am working on it but I could hardly say I am fluent quite yet. At the moment we are living a few months in France then going back to the UK to do some work to pay for our next French leave.

People always seem to be looking for an English speaking accoutant here to look after their tax returns etc.  I would dearly love to be able to work over here, but inevitably the French way of doing things isn't the same as the UK. Would it be feasible and legal to attach myself to a French accountants office, if anybody will have me, perhaps offering a couple of days a week work without pay (I can crunch numbers in any language and learn fast!) in return for learning the French accounting ropes, or would I need to get really fluent in French and then struggle thru the French accountancy exams before anybody would consider me?

Why dont you write to a couple and see what they say,, if you can find An English one they wil know what you need to do, No one turns own a offer of a free employee, although there may be an Issue with work place insurance.

Have you thought about signing up for an accountancy coarse for the coming new school year in france?      

As far as I am aware, you cannot be an "expert comptable" without qualifications, so you can't actually do peoples tax returns.

You could set yourself up as a bookeeper and subcontract the "expert" part to an accountant, whilst trying to find some adult education for the qualifications?

You can't work for anyone for less than minimum wage.

• 1 month later...

When I was looking for work, the ANPE referred me to an association called "Portes Ouvertes" which finds work for "problem"(!) customers. I had my own case worker who discussed with me my qualifications and aptitudes (my French isn't fluent either). They help you draw up a French CV and prepare application letters and they would probably be able to advise on how to get your qualifications recognised here. They also approach appropriate employers (in your case local accountants, etc) proposing you for a couple of weeks "free" work experience. This may be a way "through the door" when they see what an asset you could be! Other than the direct approach, ASSEDIC/ANPE may well be able to help - don't know whether Portes Ouvertes do the same thing in your area. Good luck.

I don't see how there would be any kind of legal barrier to working for free as a "stagiaire" (intern). When I was in college I did a four-month unpaid stage in Paris and it wasn't set up in any kind of formal way. The director of my study abroad program found some of them just by asking her friends.

I asked my (French) husband, who is an expert comptable, and he doesn't see any reason you couldn't do a stage in an accounting firm. However he notes that you wouldn't be an official "stagiaire expert comptable," which apparently is a formal term and requires having the accounting degree. He says your best bet would be to try an accounting firm (cabinet) rather than a business. Convincing someone to take you on will be the hard part but it certainly doesn't hurt to try, and just "testing the waters" you will learn a lot about what qualifications you will need to be considered.

Bonne chance!