Surveyors near Mirepoix - and would you use one. Notaire at Chalabre

Does anyone know of a competent surveyor in the Mirepoix area (property just to the north)

Would you recommend using one?

Have been recommended the notaire at Chalabre as speaking excellent English - anyone experience of him or would you use a French speaking solicitor in the UK to provide legal advice?

Many thanks

Paul

We used Maitre Duchan in Chalabre for our house purchase and further advice over the last 4 years. He's very good and as far as I can tell trustworthy and his English is pretty perfect. I wouldn't bother with a UK solicitor.

As to a surveyor being worth it, I think there are very few cases where an English-style survey is worth it. As I understand it you have to pay for the full structural survey to get any legal comeback, the report on an old house is going to a horror story anyway, and I have yet to hear of a valid claim against a RICS surveyor for a French house. Would love to know if anyone has! I have doubts English registered guys really understand how French houses are built, but I have heard good reports about John Marshall +33 (0) 468 20 26 48. or [email protected]

Generally the French tend to get a builder or a French architect to have a look over the place instead and give a verbal report. I have heard good things about Sophie Baby (?) in Mirepoix.

I also have had dealings with some rogue English surveyor/architect pair based in the Aude valley who are truely hopeless and a complete rip-off . They trade under different web addresses and names, so PM me if you are thinking of using someone based there.

We live in Chalabre and know Maitre Duchan well. We've used him for several things beyond the purchase of our house and have never had cause to complain.  Most of the English home buyers that I know around here have used him as well and all seem quite happy with the experience.

We didn't have an official survey, but did have an engineer from Foix come out and do a report on the house before buying it.  Granted, it did have the usual things wrong with it, but he reassured us that there was nothing major, in particular structural, which left us feeling comfortable enough to go through with the purchase.  If you're interested, I can dig up his name.

PG