Qualified Electrician

Victor Meldrew

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to place adverts until you are registered!  So you can't advertise to judge demand and you can't advertise to let people know that you will shortly be offering a service in a certain area.  Typical French legislation![6]

• 2 weeks later...
I forgot to say that in order to set your company as an electrician, you normally need a CAP or BEP (equivalent of apprenticeship). You still can register as an artisan but ensure you have your qualifications translated when you go & register. If you haven't got a recognized qualication, proof of having worked as an electrician will do, either as an employee or self employed (proof could be contract, payslips or registration papers).

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have just seen you post.  My Husband is an Electrician (17th Edition) in the UK, and is looking to work in France.  At the momnet he is doimng the commute.  I have heard that you have to do a conversion course to prove that you are qualified and in 'Bergerac' they also do it in English.  Any help, would be much appreicated on how you have set yourself up here.  Was it easy and have you found much work, as I see you posted this in November.  I am in the Gironde Region. (33)

Regards

Vida

Hi Vida,

Setting up as an entreprise indivuduelle is pretty straightforward and

fast. You will have to register as an artisan with the Chambre de

Metiers. You have to either prove your qualification in the field (Uk

diploma translated will do) or proove that you have been working in the

field for at least 3 years (playslips or self-employed).

No idea of the work load in your area. However as the local english

community have a smaller budget due to the recession, it is best to

also try to target the French customers. If you want to test the water

you could set up as an auto entrepreneur to start with

Hope this helps

Valerie