Selling Art

Mozman

My wife Jan is an artist and we wondered if anyone knows the rules for painting in a touristic area and selling.  We have a house in Normandy and Honfleur is an art mecca.  It is well known and teaming with tourists.  Jan has sold work based on Honfleur in the UK and we feel that there is a real opportunity for her in Honfleur.

Would she need some sort of permit?  If so, where do you get it and how much?  Who is approached in Honfler (The Mayor?)  Does she have to be registered (Auto Entrepreneur).  My guess is yes.  We know there is a market on Sat am - So there is that route.

Has anyone else sold art at markets, exhibitions and seasonal events?  If so any thoughts comments appreciated.  I think it has to be in a good tourist area where people are keen to find something different to remind them of the trip.  Prices in Honfleur for art are high and Jan could have the potential for a decent living, she could also try to establish a name.

All help appreciated.

Are you talking about doing a bunch of paintings (townscapes, landscapes ...) to sell on spec? As far as I know there is no need for a permit to paint as long as she doesn't cause traffic problems, but it's worth enquiring at the Mairie.

As far as the selling is concerned then yes, she will need to be registered as a business. Auto-entrepreneur is the obvious route and as she is 'selling stuff' the turnover limit is about 80,000€ a year, with a cotisation level of 12% of turnover.

I'm not sure how it operates, but there is also the Maison des Artistes to consider. Apparently it's the official social security caisse for artists. I don't know whether you can be registered with them under the auto-entrepreneur regime

http://www.lamaisondesartistes.fr/site/ 

Many thanks.  We have seen artistes working at the quayside in Honfleur and they do have work available to sell.  I will take a a look at the link.  Cotisations at 12% does not seem too bad.  Do you get a tax/cotisations free allowance for an initial level of turnover as we do in the UK?

Unlike most small businesses, France actively encourages artists, and special rules apply so the normal autoentrepreneur route may not be suitable. We have a good friend who is a painter, living first in Normandy and then in Avignon. He formerly used this forum but his artistic temperament proved too much and he got barred, otherwise he could explain it himself. There are numerous financial incentives available - our friend was able, for example, to claim benefits (legally) and still earn from selling his work, up to a reasonably generous figure. I'm n ot sure if this concession is still available, but if not then there will be other similar schemes.

The maison des artistes and/or your local URSSAF office will be able to fill you in on cotisations, taxes, turnover rates etc. I am assuming you are/will be resident in France?