What roof insulation?

Drmclark

We want to convert our grenier and need to insulate the roof before lining with plasterboard/wood.

The ideal material would be Celotex - the expanded polystyrene sheets (covered in foil and about 8cm thick) which can be fixed onto the roof beams with wood battons onto which the plasterboard could be fixed. This way the required 2 inch air gap is left.

However, I haven't seen anything like that in France - only standard loose lagging and polystyrene sheets.

Has anyone any advice on what is available and what could be used?

Thanks

Michael

When I converted our "upstairs" I was advised by my local tradesman not to use plasterboard with the polystrene backing because the mice think its fantastic for nesting. I also found that the polystyrene makes a hell of a mess both when you cut it and later when bits come off and find their way out of little gaps. I used what looks like tin foil with bubble wrap inside it, it is double skin and really effective both for reflecting the heat back to the slates and for insulating.
I bought mine from Bricogitte, it comes in rolls and although easy to fit is quite expensive. I just stapled it to the battens and plasterboarded over the top.
I am sorry I don't recall the name of the product but I am sure I have seen reference to it elswhere on this site.
I must add that I am in no way an expert as most of the jobs I have done and am still doing I have never done before and here I take my hat off to all builders....you really earn your money.