loft with windows - permission needed?

Hannah

If you have a loft with windows already in, but the particulars of that property just say "attic to convert", does that mean you still need planning permission to change it from an attic to, say, bedrooms? Or does it just mean that the current owners haven't yet got round to converting it?

Thanks a lot.

Hannah

I'll put it this way. Them 'saying' a loft to convert doesn't mean that it has planning permission.

Re the windows, well we have two rooms in our sous sol, our sous sol is above ground, might I add. Both these rooms have 'normal' windows that look exactly like the windows in the rest of the house, but to convert these rooms into habitable m would require planning permission and we wouldn't get it, because when we had our balcony extended it gobbled up the rest of our permitted mhabitable.

The advice given to me by my mairie is that inside I can do what I like, but if I change the appearance of the property from the outside then I will need his permission.

If you have enough windows for any planned conversion you may be OK, but if you want to enlarge them then you will need permission. You pay your rates based on the sq meterage of living space, so if you convert the loft without changing the appearance then you should inform the Mairie, but then again..... What they don't know.......