Quarry floor tiles - believe

kate4

We have, I think the above on our floor, however when ever you spill anything, the stain just soaks in, and they look very dull. Is there any kind of glaze that can be put over them?

I just happened to have to hand an article from COUNTRY LIVING MAGAZINE and learn that Quarry Tiles are a mass produced tile an alternative to terracotta, they are machine made and fired at high temps to produce a vitrified, waterproof surface. So they should not stain as you have illustrated. However terracotta tiles are low fired clay, traditionally unglazed and therefore porous. So they will stain. Sounds like you have terracotta and not quarry tiles. The tip offered ... New porous terrcotta (or old in your case) should be sealed with boiled linseed oil applied with a soft cloth, then several layers of floor wax to build up a resilient surface. Takes about a month, says the experts here, after which the floor should need no further maintenance except cleaning. That's with good old mop and bucket and gentle soap cleaner. In France you can buy Linseed Oil - already boiled - in any Brico and there is quite a choice of wax protection - so good luck.
Hope this helps - I do have a wonderful book with answers to all these sort of questions - but while it's not in the packing as most things are - it's at the "other house" and we won't be there for a few weeks, I won't forget you and if there is anything more there I will post a message.