Whats Gloss Paint called in France

Hi

You should definitely not use gloss paint if you don't need to.
With the weather in most parts of France it will nlister and be difficult to maintain generally.

There are lots of microporous stains here which are available in matt or satin finish. These are much better long term and are I think look better too.

I don't have the makes to hand but there are lots to chose from at all the big bricolage stores.

John

(ex paint and stain retailer)

Oil based paints (I assume that's what you mean by gloss) are called "glycero". You can buy gloss = brillante or satin = satin. I think you can get matt = mat too.

Acrylic paint is water based, it's the same here, called acrylique. Can get in satin or matt.

There is something new(ish) called "phase aqueouse" (sp?) which has the properties of oil based but is water based. Haven't used that yet.

A word of advice - buy a good quality paint i.e. Dulux Valentine (I think it is called Valenite when it is glycero). Don't go for cheap paints as they are not good! Corona paint is OK for acrylic but the finish is not good in satin. I gave up using satin paint in France. I use only mat. Otherwise you always get roller marks no matter how well/carefully you paint.

One coat of Dulux Valentine matt will give a better finish than two coats of cheap paint, therefore you are not saving money buying cheap!

Happy painting.