Poele bois and Lining the Chimney

Kittycat

Hi everybody,

I've just finished constructing a new fire surround for our wood burner. The previous one was a horrible, tiny marble surround jobbie - totally out of character. Sadly the original stone opening had been badly 'butchered' by previous owners, so I've had to make something in a traditional, similar style (I hope). There is a point to this post & I'm almost there, stick with me please!

I'm now ready to go & buy the flexi-stainless steel liner for the chimney. The total 'hearth to chimney top' height is 8 metres! I plan to use a 1 metre length of solid black pipe (same colour as woodburner), to take it above register plate height. This will leave me 7 metres of inox tuyau to install. My main question is;

Is it ok to go up with the same diameter all the way, ie 153mm, or is there any advantage in increasing the diameter to 180mm in the flexi liner??
Not a great difference in price so that's not an issue, but if there is no advantage in increasing the diameter I presume the smaller one would be slightly easier to fit (I have approx 200mm width in chimney for the liner).

Also what's the easiest way to install the liner, in your experience? I can get on the roof ok , so do I feed the liner down from there, or pull it up by rope, with wife possibly feeding it up the fireplace?

When jointing the different pipes together, is it necessary to use the special mastic available, or a giant jubille strap type thing? or perhaps both??

There is evidence in the chimney & loft of a previous chimney fire, so I want to do all this right 1st time & sleep easy at night!!

I have searched the archives by the way & my specific questions don't seem to be in there. Many thanks to all who take the time to read, or even reply, to my wafflings.

best wishes
Tony

153mm is ok, but its better if you could install the 180mm, better for the draw etc.Install the liner from the roof it will have a cap on it to fix a rope to.The 150 liner will go into the flange on your vitro flue pipe,I just use fire cement around and a couple of self tappers.Just a little tip.when the person on the other end feels the liner comeing down the chimney they must keep the pressure on the rope and you from the top feed it in with out stopping. if it does get stuck just twist it like a cork screw. do not forget to buy the clamping plate to fix the liner to the chimney top and the cowl.happy plunbing.

Generally feed the liner in from the top with the bracket clamped to the liner and the slots for the bracket already cut into the masonry. Clean the chimney before fitting the liner and make good any damaged masonry. I normally just fit the black (rigid pipe) inside the liner by a good amount (50cms) as I think that being able to dismantle the pipes for cleaning is more important than avoiding a few condensation streaks on the black pipe.

Regards

Charles
http://www.hautefortrenovation.com