Electricity CONSUEL any experiences?

Washy

After resisting electricity for 10 years we finally have the EDF coming out next wednesday to do an etude.  I had to cross their palms with nearly 800 euros before they would get out from behind their desks mind you.  In their letter they also asked me for the4 certificate from the CONSUEL.  I had to ring them to explain that as this was a ruined mill dating from 1600 and earlier it had never had electricity and was a large rambling property and we needed advice before we even called in an electrician.  There are about three pylons near our property and EDF could decide to bring electricity from any one.  They did undertand then that I could not have called in an electrician first as 'our part' or the installation could be in any of a number of places.

I would like to know if anyone has had experience of calling the CONSUEL out to a new installation, either in a new build or a complete renovation.  Can some electricians certify places themselves or does someone have to come all the way from Toulouse to the Corbieres????

Also, we do not have everything completed yet, will the CONSUEL accept an 'installation' to be just a basic curcuit breaker board (French standard Legrand of courfse) and a plug or two on it?  We are well set up with 12 volt systems, solar, and generators are still rebuilding the rest of the mill and want to do wiring as we go along but want to benefit from electricity for the power tools to work with.  Anyone who has been through this and has some comments please?

[quote]After resisting electricity for 10 years we finally have the EDF coming out next wednesday to do an etude. I had to cross their palms with nearly 800 euros before they would get out from behind their...[/quote]

The Consuel will always require a completed or very nearly completed electrical installation before they will issue a certificate,otherwise everone would just install one socket and light and then call them in.

The actual certificate asks for specific information such as the value of earth electrode resistance and numbers of outlets per circuit, etc;, and also details of heating if it is electric. The process for a Consuel inspection can be a bit long winded if you are not used to it or have never applied. When we carry out renovations works the normal thing to do is get the EDF to install a tempoary supply, valid for up to a year, but you will have to supply a special box with all the correct gubbins inside. This bow usually goes adjacent to the nearest EDF pole and not in the house itself.

best regards,

Paul

Just to second what Paul says is correct. The cost to the householder is 90€ payable to CONSUEL before any visit as well and must be paid by you and not the electrician. We have had to supply map locations of the properties as well so the engineer can find it easily. They can be fairly picky too if they don't like the look of something and will not give a certificate until it is correctly installed or changed and incomplete paperwork is another no-no.

Thanks for the very informative replies.  So it was pretty pointless sending EDF the 800 euros they wanted before they would come out then?  I am quite annoyed about all this as I have been in conversation with EDF for some time and local electricians were equally vague about things.  We are well set up with solar power, generators etc, all of which go through a french circuit breaker system but it could be ages before we do any other wiring partly because we are happy with the system we have.  I would just like to be able to run my washing machine on boil and have an answerphone and fridge freezer and my husband would like to be able to run some of his large power tools without running the big generator.

I feel like ringing EDF and cancelling the cheque as they said a small installation would be fine etc. etc. obviously just wanted our money.

As our main reason is for the power tools in the workshop I am thinking of just asking if we can have an installation in there, saying that is all we want.  A local farmer (yes I know they can do what they want LOL!!) has an installation on a pylon for just a waterpump in the river (illegal), he has no other power and no other building nearby.

Maybe the temporary installation as mentioned in a reply above is the way to go as all chantier must have some sort of connection for workmen to work unless they are all on generators.