Timber Treatment

Peterh

I will need to treat some timber in our house when we visit later this month. Previously I have taken 5 gallon cans of Wickes Wood Treatment liquid (Cuprinol) with me but wonder if the French equivalent would be a similar price. Can anyone advise the name of a similar product and what the cost is in France. Thanks for any help.

Peter

I'm no expert and when I had some timber to treat recently took advice from brico-confident voisins who recommended a product called Lasure. There are umpteen different brands and it's widely available in DIY outlets. According to its label, it colours and protects the wood from insects and fungi, and is ' anticryptogamique '! Don't ask! One litre covers 12-15 square meters, and as you might expect, this all-singing, all-dancing treatment was on sale at €80 for a 6 litre tin. It is suitable for interior and exterior use. I don't know if that helps at all?

chouan

Isn't Lasure a sort of varnish? It's what wifey put on our new beams, anyway and was LETHALLY expensive, it nealrly killed me with it's price, let alone any bugs

What wood are you protecting? we have also used a very large tin of a product for woodworm, etc which held 65 litres, and nearly killed me lifting it! It sprays on from a garden type sprayer and is for older, or new beams where they aren't on view. No colour. Made by same company as Lasure we bought.

Alcazar

The stuff we used on recommendation of neighbours and our builder is Xylophene.  There a couple of different variants under the same product name and the cheapest place i found it was an Mr Bricolage at 60€ (ish) for very big "busta bloodvessel" size drum.

It has the consistency of paintsripper and is best sprayed on.  I have used a back pack sprayer (the type you use for spraying weeds) to great effect.  Sadly I still have plenty left to spray, but at least now that I have cleaned (sandblasted) the beams I can see what I am doing.

Stephen (19)

Hi Peter.

Steves reply is spot on,one of our French neighbours told us to use Xlyphene as this protects against the dreaded termites and all the other nasties.

Most important use the correct masks clothing etc,airborne droplets can be ingested via skin and lungs ,Good luck with the work it is nasty.

All the best DJ