UK Twin & Earth Cable

DMC

There was a reference in the latest LF (or FPN - it was a 2 for one this month) that UK Twin & Earth cable could now be used in France due to an EC ruling. I stated that is legal providing a blue sleeve was put over the black core at connection points.

Anyone know any more - I would certainly prefer to use it if at all possible.

Doug

AFAIK, absolutely NOT

It's illegal on THREE counts:

1. neutral not blue,

2. earth not sleeved along whole length, and

3. earth not same csa as other two conductors.

HOWEVER: EC rule changes are in the offing and British stuff will come inline sometime in 2005, so then you WILL be able to get the correct stuff from Screwfix etc.

Alcazar

I think you mean the new harmonised colours, UK is falling in line with europe, we will be using cable that is the same, grey outer sleave with blue/brown inner, earth is still green/yellow sleaved, just be careful with lighting as the common will not be the same, cable is on sale now at all elec retailers and I think screwfix have it as well.

Although english twin and earth cable has now changed to the new harmonised colours

brown -live,blue - neutral

the earth remains unsheathed and so i believe it does not conform to french standards

what is wrong with using the conduit and flexible tube with the single cables as sold and used by everyone else in France.I found it to be easy and convenient to use.