'Listed Buildings'

Janb

My 12th century barn has been declared a 'site of historic interest' and, as such, I am now constrained to an interesting collection of restrictions. While I do think these regulations are generally welcome, there seems to be a lack of consistency. For instance, plans to open up the roof and create a little terrasse have been refused, issues about size of windows had to be argued [to increase the size] and won, colour of shutters also had to be argued [and also won] and now I'm told that I need the agreement of my neighbours within the hameau. I've asked to see the 'rulebook regarding historic properties' but now wonder if they're making it up as they go along. ANy ideas out there?

Jan

You could contact the local office of the Architect de Bâtiment de France who are very strict over ancient buildings and what you can and can't do, for guidance. We are altering our local presbytere into a new mairie and the existing perimeter walls are not allowed to be demolished but will have to be sandwiched between two new ones to protect it's historical value. The ABF have inspectors who make visits regularly to different communes so they may have someone who can come out fairly soon and give their views on your plans.