What permissions if any are required to construct a wooden workshop

405Line

Hello there, This is my first post to the group.

I would  appreciate some guidance. We have a house in the Calvados region set in around 2300m2. We are planning to move there in Spring 2006. However we need to construct a Workshop to cater for both my wife's and my own hobby’s..( not business ). The planned building is to be around 12 meters long by 5 meters wide by 2.2 meters high with a pent roof. It will be divide at he middle point so that we can share half each. It is effectively going to be built on the basis of a heavy duty shed with no fixed foundations, the frame will stand on a paved area which will be well screened by trees and shrubs so not on view by anybody.

My question is do we need permission for a temporary structure of this nature? I have written to the Marie ( in my best French  but not received a response in nearly three months. Every time we visit the Marie's office it is shut (we live in a very small commune). My French is not great so I have not contacted any other relevant party as I would struggle to describe what I wanted to do.

So should we just build and be dammed or should I keep pursuing the Marie for a response. (we can currently only make contact when we are there on holiday)

What happens if we build it then later are challenged for having no permissions? There are a number of small farms in the vicinity that have plenty of ramshackle buildings that I doubt have approval……..

I look forward to any responses and guidance

Dave

In France you do not construct anything without permission. Even a garden shed or a wall attracts a déclaration de travaux. You must provide detailed drawings,photos and fill in a Permis de Construire which is available from the local mairie. This will take approx 2 months to go through the system and costs you nothing. At the end you will be notified either yes or no or possibly but with restrictions etc. If you build without permission it will be ordered to be dismantled and you could be fined. Its not good writing to the mairie,you need to go in person as they are extremely busy people and replying to letters is not something they take as urgent. There are also other factors to consider such as the materials to be used and the location of any nearby monument historique which would have an effect on the outcome.

Val 2 is quite right.  Writing is hopeless.  A friend of mine wrote and wrote but when he eventually got round to actually seeing the Mayor in person (and my friend speaks very little French) he not only got his answer immediately but found out the Mayor spoke English!  You need a Declaration de Travaux for many things which is quite a simple form to complete.  If you go to the Mairie and explain what you are intending to do they will be able to tell you what's required.  They may (like mine did) even help you fill out the necessary forms.  Most Mairies have fixed opening hours even in the tiniest communes.  Ours is open 1.5 hours in the afternoon on Tuesdays and Fridays only and we have about 150 residents.  For our pool I had to do a D d T and provide drawings too.