How do I light my oil fired cooker?

cabman

I've been lurking in these excellent forums for some weeks, and can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem.

We've recently acquired a lovely house in Creuse, near Bussiere Dunoise.  Heating is by night storage heaters, backed up by a centrally placed oil-fired cooker.  Problem is I can't figure out how to light and/or extinguish this cooker. The nights are becoming chilly!

It's a not so old-looking Rosieres fed by a tank in the cellar via an electric pump inside one of the kitchen cupboards.  The control valve for the cooker is a Toby DVR. The pump has no apparent make but is plugged in to it's own socket and has a little red  knob on the top. I guess the burner needs to be ignited by a match under the hotplate, but what first?

If anyone has or knows these cookers I'd be most grateful for a step by step instruction, before I singe my eyebrows or worse! 

We have a Rosieres oil fired cooker, it has it's own 10 litre tank which is filled up with a jug!

To get the thing going we do :-

Open the chimney vent, a pull handle, top right inside the oven door.

Turn on the oil tap at the bottom of the boiler, turn the heater control to 5 or 6 and allow the oil to flow into the boiler. Take off the cover to the lighting tube and insert the taper, or long cotton bud and let it soak up the oil, take it out and light it. Put it back in the tube to ignite the oil in the boiler.

Once it is well alight take out the taper/bud and let it get up to temperature. Close the chimney vent and select a heater control setting that you require.

It took us quite some time to get this process right and smoked the place out on numerous occasions. But now we think it is the best thing since sliced bread. The only issue being filling it up with the smelly oil every couple of days. Oh and not spilling any of it !

Have fun ............ cough cough splutter

Cacknanty,  thank you for that information.

Seems you may have a different Rosieres model as I think our chimney vent is a 3-position lever at the rear of the hot-plate.(unless someone knows differently)

I'm currently back in UK, but you've certainly provided a basis for further experimentation.

You're also braver than me to have got your system so well sorted already!

At the rear (left) of our hotplate is the fuel guage showing empty, half and full. I believe it to be a simple float device.

At the bottom is a drawer presumably for pots and pans, we use it to catch any drips as it is filled up. On the front right is a timer but no model name or number.

The boiler is a Dutch make but I can't remember what and as we are also back in the UK can't check it out.

Hope you get it sorted on your next visit.

Cheers