Roof Tiles

Cacknanty

Having the roof replaced at the moment, to save on cost we removed the old tiles and laths ourselves.

The tiles on the north side were in a lot worse condition (lamination) than those on the south side, presumably due to staying wet, absorbing the water then freezing. The old tiles were dated 1972.

We assisted in the removal of tiles from another property in the village where a similar problem had occured with tiles dated 1984, although not quite as bad as ours. It seems very poor to me if roof tiles only last 20 years.My house in the UK (built 1939) still has the original tiles but very little lamination.

I am wondering if it would be worth spraying the french house roof (certainly on the north side) with a waterproofer (say Thomsons). Has anyone any experience of the effectiveness of this, or would I be wasting my time and money ?

Thanks

Cacknanty. One of the problems with roof tiles and especially here in Brittany is that there are many choices and grades with prices to match. It may well be that your previous owner couldn't afford to pay for the first choice quality and had second choice laid instead which would account for the shorter lifespan. We always give our clients the choice but recommend the first choice slates which should "see them out". I don't know where you are but it is probably the same,you gets what you pays for!