Underfloor heating (hot water type)

hrm2

There is a new system out made by Polypipe,its called "overlay" and can go on top of existing floor screed or timber floors.WWW.overlayheating.co.uk we are about to us it in watermill (near Josselin) on the ground floor,with rads upstairs to keep costs down.

Have installed the screed type before and it was brilliant in an old barn.

Can thoroughly recommend it

Fore Hamlet.   Yes it seemed to be very efficient we did have good insulation to all the walls and ceilings,but any system needs good insulation anyway.

Comfort level was very good with no cold areas like you get with radiators.

You get a choice of fuel to run it also, connected to either gas or oil boiler.

If you write or email polypipe they will send you brochures and even how to lay it ( with pictures to) I am an electrician( now retired early) so I did my own wiring of the controls which is the only tricky bit for D I Y'ers . Good Luck. hrm2

Hiya,

Our place in france has old wooden floorboards, is underfloor heating suitable for floorboards?  I have always thought not but have heard of it being used recently in the UK.  As our rooms have quite high ceilings it would seem to be the most cost effective way of heating the home. 

Regards,

Tris

kiwitk

If your floor boards are even and flat apparently you can lay the insulation panels directly onto the wooden floor (polythene needed on the flooring first I think) check with manufacturers first though, the Polypipe system is only about 25mm deep and can be tiled straight on top,they suggest laying 4mm waterproof ply on top if you are going to carpet the room. 

Regards hrm2