Casual labour - again!

Abbaye

Hi, we have a house in Brittany which is our second home at the moment.  We have a business in Jersey (stonemasonry).  My other half is going to do the renovation on our house over here - it needs a lot of work - he will do the building himself but we will need to get in a plumber/leccy etc.  He needs a spare pair of hands to help him and we are toying with who to get.  My uncle comes and stays with us sometimes and he is a fantastic odd job man however it might be a bit much for him as hes no spring chicken.  Obviously cost is an issue.  I have read the threads on casual labour being illegal but how would you go about employing someone over here to help out, say, 15 hours a week?  Or could we employ someone from Jersey and feed and accommodate them for a reduced salary.  How would we employ them legally (as they will not be French residents)?  Could we do it through our Jersey company?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks.

mandy

Where we have a house, we have farmers that dig fosse septics.  Housewives that childmind.  Grandmothers that teach French. Landowners that sell large quantities of firewood.  Distillers that sell direct.  Baker that builds walls.  Ex military mechanic that repairs tractors etc etc

All of these people need some extra work...on the 'you know what' of course!

I'd be surprised if your predicament generated a potential loss in uncollected taxes any greater than anyone in our area who is allegedly earning csh in hand.  Does it bother them....does it heck!

I'm not condoning this type of wrk, but you willbe surprised just how diverse the issue is. 

Ali