Prices for roof

Leo. H

I have brought a house in near Mayenne and have had work done on the property, I had a wall rebuilt and quotes for the wall were from 18,000 Euro down to 9,000 Euro, the highest who was a English builder, and the lowest being a French builder, who did the wall in six days, very fine job too, now I am getting quotes to have half the roof re-slated and again it seems the quotes are coming in with the English builders being able to do the work for around 15,000 Euro and the French builders are a lot cheaper...I,m wondering if the English builder are maybe taking advantage of the U.K home owners knowing that they have a problem with the peach etc and bumping there prices up, I dont know,,, just seems strange... I would urge any new home owners to get as many quotes in as possible both French and English, also has any one else noticed this sort of thing? it really is a minefield...

Our French builder quoted just under half of that for the British guy living in France. Also the French guy quoted for 5.5 % TVA (VAT), whilst the British guy quoted at full VAT. Watch for the Siret No.etc on the Devis and invoice. When you come to sell, if you can prove the work was done to quote, with Siret and showing the VAT you can often get a reduction against capital gains, as I understand it. We have learnt the French know their system and are not happy about foreign workers coming into the country taking their living (where have we heard that one). Good Luck