Saniflo or other macerator toilets in France

Mike1958

Unfortunately to provide a WC in two bathrooms in our house we are going to have to bite the bullet and have an electric Saniflo type system installed. Can anyone please advise on:

1. What makes are available in France and their cost

2. Any experiences that you have had (either positive or negative) in using such a system.

Regards,

Mike

www.peak-times.com

Hi. When we bought Le Petit Manoir it had a Saniflo loo downstairs,it seemed to work Ok and it looked fine but it was soooo noisy!! We had it replaced with a conventional one! Now if anyone would like to purchase a second hand Sanilflo.......

We have one in our guest accommodation, which works very well as long as people don't put inappropriate things down it. It's a Sanibroyeur, which seems to the the same thing as Saniflo. It's a sort of box that fits behind a normal loo to allow the loo to be connected to a small waste pipe. I think the only other possible problem is that you can't use it if the electricity supply is out of action.

We wanted an extra loo and had no choice because of the distance involved for the pipework to put one of these in. We've had it about 3 years. We bought the all in one type which works fine, the pan is a bit shallow so it sometimes needs an extra clean round. You can also get the macerator to add on to a normal outlet, I've no experience of these.

We paid about 200 Euros in Brico Depot who have a couple of models I think. M Bricolage has several of both types and they often seem to have leaflets as would a plumbers' merchant. These explain the distances you can go to with your pipe work for the models available.

They are noisy and I don't think any one would choose to have one if they can fit in a normal loo. Bear in mind they don't work if there is a power cut.

LIz (29)

When you have to use one, you have to use one. They work, they do make a noise but if you box it in you can add sound insulation.

They do require descaling regularly or the valve sticks and the pump continues to run. They are unpleasant but easy enough to unblock if something goes in that shouldn't.

The only bad news is that in France you have return the unit to a local service center if it goes faulty, unlike the UK where a service engineer calls out to your home. That said many people have had no problems over 10 to 20 years according to comments I have read on different sites.

I built an en-suite shower room and toilet in my English house about 15 years ago and installed a Saniflo. It was used several times each day and lasted about 10 years before needing to be replaced. The only problem with it was when someone chose to disregard the rules and jetison something inappropriate into the wc. Its replacement continues to work entirely satisfactorily so I would recommend one without hesitation.

By the way, they are made in France and I seem to recall seeing them on display in Castorama.

I don't think there will be any need for to view any purchase as chewing bullets.

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks to everyone for your comments. We have taken the plunge (not literally) and signed up our plumber who will fit two wall mouted WC's with an integrated rather than separate macerator. It is costing us quite a bit more but the benifit is not having to box the unit behind a wall.

Regards,

Mike

www.peak-times.com