Permission from our Maire?

Scarymary

We are in the throes of doing up our farmhouse which is in a small village in the Charente. Three projects that we want to undertake this summer is building a pergola in the garden, painting the windows, shutters and gates and a bit of repointing to the external walls. Someone has told me that we need to write to the Maire and ask permission to carry out these various jobs. Does anyone know if this is true? Or should I just do it out of courtesy??? Such a different protocol to Blighty!

Have a look round your village, hamlet etc. In some place Juan les Pins, Port Grimeau etc there are very strick rules on colours which can be used. If you live within sight of one of the listed monuments of France then there are also rules. For the most part in the rest of France provided the work is well done and does not scream that it is from another region you will have no problems.

We popped into the Mairie and asked our Maire if he was happy with the colour we had in mind for our shutters.

It turned out that there weren't any rules in our village but he did seem genuinely pleased that we'd taken the trouble to check, so I'm glad we did.

Lucie