Tiling question

Mike1958

We are currently having a couple of bathrooms refurbished and as part of the work we will need to re-tile. In one bathroom there are already tiles and the other is bare plaster. After discussions with our plumber I am unsure as to the correct steps to take with regard to the following:

1. In the tiled bathroom I intended to tile over tiles as they would be to difficult to remove cleanly. However the plumber said that I should attach some from of backing board (placo vert) before re-tiling. This seems a waste of effort to me as the existing tiles should provide the necessary waterproof backing.

Ideas or suggestions appreciated.

2. For the second bathroom that has bare plaster walls do I still need to apply a waterproof backing board before tiling as again I am sure that new houses do not use this type of material as long as waterproof adhesive and grout are used. (My house is 100 years old but parts of it have been extended or renovated in the past. The walls in question are either solid or block (not stud partition)

Again you comments are welcome.

Many thanks,

Mike

www.peak-times.com

Tiling over tiles is standard practice and tiling over plaster is entirely acceptable provided it is sound. In most areas of the bathroom the walls won't get very wet anyway so I would confine waterproof grout to within the shower and possibly the splash back of the basin and bath. Beware, though, waterproof white grout and ordinary white grout do tend to have a slight variation in the shading.

We've done both in several bathrooms/shower rooms with no problems at all. I suspect your plumber is just looking for a bit (or do I mean a lot?) of extra work.

Liz (29)

"1. In the tiled bathroom I intended to tile over tiles as they would be to difficult to remove cleanly. However the plumber said that I should attach some from of backing board (placo vert) before re-tiling. This seems a waste of effort to me as the existing tiles should provide the necessary waterproof backing."

If you need a backing board then green plasterboard is a last resort. Use a cement based board such as Wedi constructional panels - www.wedi.de. Much more expensive than plasterboard but worth the investment.

If the existing tiles are sound then you can tile over them using either Lanko 505 Prolipate Plus or Fermafix Plus. In both cases you need to comb on a thin layer of adhesive onto the old tiles and allow this to dry before fixing the new tiles.

"2. For the second bathroom that has bare plaster walls do I still need to apply a waterproof backing board before tiling as again I am sure that new houses do not use this type of material as long as waterproof adhesive and grout are used. (My house is 100 years old but parts of it have been extended or renovated in the past. The walls in question are either solid or block (not stud partition)"

As per the other reply - if the existing plaster is sound - and most in old French houses is not - then you can tile onto this using one of the adhesives mentioned above.

Re the other reply,

"In most areas of the bathroom the walls won't get very wet anyway so I would confine waterproof grout to within the shower and possibly the splash back of the basin and bath. Beware, though, waterproof white grout and ordinary white grout do tend to have a slight variation in the shading."

I do not understand why you would want to use different types of joint (grout) within one area.

If you have tiling to do in bathrooms or kitchens then forget the stuff sold in the bricos and go to a professional carrelage supplier - www.gapsa.fr

For adhesive:

Lanko 505 Prolipate Plus

Weber & Broutin Fermafix Plus

For Joint:

Lanko 543 Prolijoint M

Weber & Broutin Fermajoint

Weber & Broutin Ferma Joincoleur

You could also try:

Lanko 549 Prolipox M-S

Weber & Broutin Fermapoxy

These are epoxy based joints which are very durable but are very difficult to apply and clean up.

Regards,

Bob Clarke

http://perso.wanadoo.fr.grindoux