Storage heater query - long post!

Backleee

Hi - I'm hoping someone can answer this storage heater query, I thought it's worth a try...

I've got Heures Creuses (0130-0730 & 1430-1630) & want to make the most of the tarif.

I've rewired most of the house and the chauff eau works well and is quite economic off the contacteur jour/nuit.  I was given a fairly new (but very very heavy!!) Noirot storage heater which I've connected to my heating circuit and branched from the EDF pilot wire to turn it on/off for the heures creuse.  Again this works well and isn't too expensive to run.

My query is, storage heaters are far more expensive in France and you can buy simple Dimplex style ones in the UK new or 2nd hand much cheaper - thus if I connect them to my heating circuits - all OK, but how can I get them to turn on & off automatically as they don't have the electronic circuits built-in to "read" the EDF pilot wire.  The EDF man who changed our meter said I could use the pilot wires to automate heure creuse circuits - eg for the w/machine, but I chickened out and use a plug-in timer!

So is there any way I can either branch off the contacteur jour/nuit used for chauff eau, or can I install another one and if so how would I connect it to turn off/on the heating circuit?  I was thinking perhaps I could do an exact copy of the chauff eau connection on the tableau except this will be for heating (which appropriate disjoncteur ratings etc).

Any thoughts or help would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Chris

I used the EDF contact (protected by a 2 amp MCB)to operate a heavy duty contactor which switched the two uk sourced storage heaters. Leroy Merlin have a series of DIY electrics info sheets, one of which shows a day/night circuit for a water heater which should help you.

Mike

Assuming you have the heaters on dedicated circuits, you simply wire them via an appropriately rated relay module and the mini circuit breaker: just like the chauffeau.

Take another feed of the pilot fil (after the 2 amp breaker) and use it to power the relay.

p

[quote]Thanks very much to you all for the prompt replies - I was hoping that was going to be the consensus & fingers crossed I can source some UK heaters & get them brought over to me later in the y...[/quote]

Here's the company I used. 

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Storage_Heaters/

In the end I had them delivered to a UK address and I put them in my big van, but they would have been equally happy to organise delivery to France.  If you plan to transport them yourself, be warned: as a whole, THEY ARE VERY HEAVY ! Although the heavy bit (the bricks) come in packs of 2 making them easy enough to move about piece by piece.

paul

I have no connection with them, just a satisfied customer.