"improvements" and modele H1

Mike_87300

Morning all, I'm having some works done on my holiday hovel (enlarge 1 window and relocate main drains connection: declaration de travaux all approved) to enable me to change its layout.

Basically what was just an entrance/cave will become a kitchen and the bathroom which was an alcove off a "piece a vivre" has been moved to an area freed up by shrinking the bedroom.

Still with me?!!

In essence I'm gaining a separate kitchen over 9 sq metres and losing the cave.

The nice people from the Impots have sent me a letter/form which I understand to be for me to detail the scope of the works and date of completion so that they can check to see whether I need to pay more taxes. I'm already paying habitation and foncieres.

What has flummoxed me is the form modele H1 they've included...Do I need to fill in the complete form or just the parts relating to the areas that are affected by the works being done?

Baffled of Bellac!!

Hi Mike,

Without seeing letter and form, it's a bit hard to know what they want. If you fax me the form and letter, I can tell you.

In general, if you increase the livable surface area, your hypothetical rent (were you to rent out the house) would be higher and as I understand it, taxe d'habitation is related to the price you could get for renting.

You can find my fax number on my website, though I'm often on line, I'm afraid. You could always call me and tell me to disconnect, if your fax machine gets fed up!

That's a very kind offer Ian, would it be OK to email a scan of the letter (150kb) to your booking email address?

On re-reading the letter I think it says that they understand that the works have been completed and so I have to inform them of the new total habitable area within 90 days.

I think I have to sign off the box at the bottom of the letter confirming that the works are complete and then fill in the relevant boxes of the modele H1 form to show the room by room makeup of the property and indicate the new total square meterage that is habitable.

It would be great if you can confirm or correct this!

the modele H1 form seems to be a catchall as it includes domestic and professional use of a property, whether it is the principal or a secondary residence, whether occupants are in receipt of any state aid as well as detailing gardens, garages etc etc.

We've also received the form H1 - and like Ian, we were confused as to what to do with it -  I'll be interested in your response. In our letter there are asking for the 'permis de construire' or declaration de travaux.

We had the work done last year, after buying the property in January. The attic already had two bedrooms, and one unfinished room which we made into a bedroom and bathroom. I've faxed our project manager for these details but haven't had any response as yet.  I intend to take my form into the office and will fill it in there - I've made an appointment to do this when next in France.  Hopefully my French will be good enough to understand what they ask of me.

Hi JeanS, it was me that was confused, Ian helped out by translating the letter I got from the Impots.

Gist of it is that once the declared works are completed you have 90 days to inform the Impots of the changes so that they can reassess tax liability.

I'm going to adopt a shotgun approach to the modele H1 form and fill in everything that I feel is relevant to the property and not just the changes I've made.

I'll then pop into the Impots with it on my next visit as that will be within the 90 day period. Luckily the Impots office is less than 1/2 k from my house so if necessary I can drag someone down to the property!

good luck with yours!