another fosse question

howardsue

We moved into our little cottage almost a year ago, and decided to trace the pipe work from the loo to find the fosse septic. After alot of holes dug I located a large, about 5ft in diameter, concrete slab but it does not have an inspection cover.

Does anyone know if this is infact a fosse septic,albeit an old type?

Normally they have a kind of lid that you can take off in order to empty them. But there are some that never need emptying because there is a kind of drain-away into the ground underneath (though I suspect that these are now illegal). Probably easiest to ask the vendors - this is one of the things you should have discussed with the during the sale. If they are not still around, ask a vidangeur (fosse septique emptying company to come and have a look to advise you

Op is right, it should have been defined in the sale contract if the house had a fosse or not, our vendors called ours a fosse, but when the Notaire asked them to describe it and how it works he had the contract changed and it described as what it really is, a cess pit with a soakaway at the top.  Look around for a fenced off area or some wet ground away from the house,  that will confirm it.  Have a look in the contract, or ask your Notaire what was declared.  It could be a fosse, but it may need changing anyway to comply with the latest standards, but before you commit to a fosse ask about main drainage in your area and if it is likeky.

Thanyou both for the info, have just looked at our contract again and found something about a f/s,but the computers translation leaves alot to be desired.

Will have a word with my good neighbour Luis(that's how he spells his name).