Tiles on wooden flooring and price of windows

Leo. H

Hi can anyone tell me if it is possibleto put floor tiles onto wooden flooring ie kitchen area using ceramic floor tiles, if so what do you fix and grout with.

Allso is the price of windows really that much cheaper in France than the U.K I have been told they are but what about roof windows ie Velux type?  thanks...Leo

If windows are cheaper here it wouldn't surprise me. They are much simpler with no, what I would call, braking mechanism on them.

Have you checked the Castorama or Lapeyre web sites to compare velux  and window prices.

Wouldn't floor tiles "move" on top of wooden floors? It's OK if you put a layer of concrete on first. Upstairs we have ceramic tiled bathroom floors on top of floor boards.The builders put a layer of concrete mixed with a "styrobeton" type product ( it makes it lighter ) down first, left it to dry,later the tilers arrived and -voila! A lovely tiled floor on top of floorboards.

With regards to tiling onto wooden floors: first, how much movement is there in the floor when you walk across it, or even bounce on it?! If there's more than just a little, you'll need to stabilise the foor (we recommend up to 22mm WBP, but it depends on the basic floor structure as it could be less (make sure you fix the overlay at 300mm centres to joists below). Next you will need an anti-fracture layer (something like Fleximat) laid onto adhesive with flexible additive included. If you overlaid your floor with 22mm WBP you won't need the Fleximat (which acts as a shock absorber absorbing any movement from the floor). Then lay your tiles into adhesive which has had more flexible additive included - and don't forget to put the additive into the grout too. We always generally recommend not to choose tiles larger than 300mm square as any larger and any possible movement in the floor will potentially cause them to crack. It's certainly possible, and something we do very often (my husband is a Fired Earth tiler, and I'm one of their interior designers, so we do know a bit!).

Good luck - any questions just ask!

Ewa

27 & Devon

I`ve found that all the Velux products are cheaper in France than back in the UK.

That includes brand new complete windows but also the blinds  and also spare parts:- I had to replace Glazing units in 2 standard GGL Velux and its was roughly double the price for them in the UK.

"With regards to tiling onto wooden floors: first, how much movement is there in the floor when you walk across it, or even bounce on it?! If there's more than just a little, you'll need to stabilise the foor (we recommend up to 22mm WBP, but it depends on the basic floor structure as it could be less (make sure you fix the overlay at 300mm centres to joists below). Next you will need an anti-fracture layer (something like Fleximat) laid onto adhesive with flexible additive included. If you overlaid your floor with 22mm WBP you won't need the Fleximat (which acts as a shock absorber absorbing any movement from the floor). Then lay your tiles into adhesive which has had more flexible additive included - and don't forget to put the additive into the grout too. We always generally recommend not to choose tiles larger than 300mm square as any larger and any possible movement in the floor will potentially cause them to crack. It's certainly possible, and something we do very often (my husband is a Fired Earth tiler, and I'm one of their interior designers, so we do know a bit!).

Good luck - any questions just ask!"

If the floor has any significant movement, then it cannot be stabilised by using flooring panels of whatever thickness - you need to go back to the support of the floor itself.

Generally in France, OSB panels are used over old flooring for tiling. This is prepared with a commercial product such as Weber et Broutin Iboprim, together with trellis de verre over the joints in the panels.

The tiles are then laid using Fermaflex Technic and jointed (grouted) with Fermajoint Souple.

Certainly no need to add anything to the adhesive or joint.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Hi thanks very much for your replies, I  was told that I could,nt have tiles because of the wooden floor which would have been a shame, but after your replies I now know its possible...thanks again...Leo