French Law

Hi,

Having renovated a property in France, I’ve been told that there is apparently a law that prohibits ‘non-artisans’ from doing construction work (but it’s ok if you own the property?).

If this is true, it effectively gives French tradesmen a ‘joint-monopoly’ on construction work in their area and they can pretty much fix prices between them.

I intend to start another project soon and, due to the amount of time I had to wait to get a French roofer on site, I’m planning to slate my roof myself, if I’m not allowed to bring alternative labour in.

Is anybody here aware of a summary of this legislation (in English?) that I can have a look at to avoid ending up in trouble for taking the initiative? In particular, it would be useful to know what I can use ‘non-artisans’ (i.e. labourers) for on site. Are decorating/dry lining/site clearance/groundwork also ‘protected’ trades?

Thanks

Charlie

There are plenty of comments on this forum about "black" labour, suggest you do a search. But essentially, it is illegal in all circumstances.

I have yet to find an "official" source of information on it, in English, although our local Chambre de Metiers has some printed info in English.

If you re-read Charlies question again, (s)he is not advocating the use of black labour, merely the use of non-tradespeople to do what would be considered a 'trade' job (which may/may not be on the black).

Mark

This is a translation from a french document into english regarding planning control in Western Europe-France and juridique 2004/5

"The basis of construction work in France revolves round the premise that skilled individuals undertake work that they insure for a period of 10years. If you are considering restoring a property and you plan on doing the majority of the work yourself,take into account the implications for insuring and selling on,the property in the future. work that you undertake will NOT BE INSURED by others, and may not be an issue if you are simply re-decorating but there maybe ramifications if you install a new heating system,create openings in load-bearing walls or replace a roof,even if you have the skills required - would it be insured?Would you be liable to third parties if the work became defective and would future buyers request the insurance details of the contractors involved prior to purchase? Just because you accept the risks of DIY does not mean that others will and this could dramatically affect the resale value of your property.