Placo vert? Waterproof backing board

Mike1958

I have decided to bite the bullet and cover existing bathroom tiles and plaster with a waterproof backing board similar to hardibacker before re-tiling. Can anyone please advise of the best place to buy (for price) as I gather our local Msr Bricolage is extortionate. And secondly does anyone know the standard size of each panel.

Many thanks,

Mike

Standard green hydrofuge plasterboard is sold in 2.5m x 1.2m panels. Best to give a coat of Fermasec (weber & Broutin) or better still use a professional tiling panel backing board such as wedi panels http://www.wedi.de/english/ These come in varying thicknesses from 4mm up to 50mm and sizes are usually 2.5m x 0.6m. Used with the correct products this will last and not leak. Tiling directly onto normal plasterboard with no preparation, is likely to give problems in the long run. Like all jobs of this nature, the preparation will influence the quality of the final outcome!

Paul 

As Paul has said, the best solution is to use a proper backer board such as Wedi. I have copied below a reply that I made to an earlier thread on the merits of green plasterboard in a bathroom.

The downside to using a product such as Wedi is the cost - perhaps you could compromise by using this in the shower area and in the rest of the bathroom, tiling over the existing tiles - providing they are sound.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

"Green plasterboard (placo hydrofuge) is not waterproof or really intended as a tile backer. It is more water resistant than standard plasterboard and will delay the growth of mould when damp.

As Anton has pointed out there is a readily available cement based backerboard available in France.

This is Wedi constructional panel www.wedi.de It is available from Lapeyre at very inflated prices - far better to go to a professional carrelage supplier - to find one in your area look at www.gapsa.fr It is also available (generally to order) from branches of Point P. - usuaually again at higher prices.

Wedi panels are generally in 250cm x 60cm sizes in various thicknesses and are made from a layer of rigid foam with two backing sides of thin cement with fibreglass mesh reinforcement. They are light to handle, easy to cut to size and easy to fix to floors, walls and ceilings with the range of Wedi fasteners.

They also make large prefabricated shower bases with integral drains, ready to tile, to create walk-in showers.

The downside is the cost - I pay around 22 Euros for a 250cm x 60cm x 1cm panel. To this you have to add the cost of the rubber waterproofing tape to seal the joints between the panels, floor, etc.

Overall, well worth the cost - once you have built a shower enclosure with Wedi products you can forget any problems - with plasterboard ---- ?"