Oak beams marked by rainwater

Catalpa

We've just had some oak beams and posts installed which will be visible - a feature even - after we've finished plasterboarding etc.

The day after the construction was installed, it rained. Surprise! We don't have a roof yet and while we tried to cover the oak, it's too large an area to accomplish successfully and the wind drove the rain in. The oak is starting to show some dark streaks and marks where the rainwater has soaked in.

Once the roof is in place, how do we get rid of these marks? Sandblasting? Bleaching with hydrogen peroxide? Both are remedies which have been suggested to us.

Advice would be appreciated.

I had exactly the same problem with my oak framing,we sanded out the stains with a belt sander,I have seen large oak frames being sand blasted after installation also.

Chemicals may or may not work,this could result in further staining ? I have no experiance of this though.

Regards Tony

The internal Oak of our house is at least 100 years old. See how it looks when you have the roof sorted and it has had a year to dry out. You cannot tell ,on our ten metre beam, which parts were open to the sky for a couple of years. I would not use the agressice chemicals described on any structural woodwork in our house.

I beleive the best way forward is to consult the experts as we will all have DIY stories and if you do try to clean them in a certain way you may regret it.

I have contacted two companies when putting up green oak building and balcony and they gave me tons of good advice on tannin stains etc due to water

I include one Co web site but if you surf (oak beams) there are quite a good selection

http://www.colinbakeroak.co.uk

I hope this helps

Kind regards VJ

Thanks for the advice. I'd hoped that someone on here would have had personal practical experience of the problem.

It's not green oak - the tree was cut 8 years ago and the beams and upright posts cut from the tree last month. It's going to be waxed but not (further!) stained which is why I'm a bit sad about the tannin marks which are beginning to appear. But it looks and smells lovely.

just one more thing. take a look at the oils available for internal Oak and Chestnut they allow it to breathe and can give a wonderful look.

Whatever you put on stay away from varnish. (just my view )

Oh and the Oak used on My balcony uprights was over 20 years old and still stained, according to the timber mill I should put it in water for six months then allow to dry for another year ( never had the time so allowed them to stain stone around but it is weathering off now

R

egards and good luck