Position with regard to electrical conformaty

Mike1958

We purchased our house last year having had a survey of the key structure (wood and roof) and the electrics and plumbing whereby we were advised that the electrics though of the old standard were in good condition.

Last week I needed an electrician to connect a new saniflo WC who immediately gave me the sucking on a sour plumb look when he saw the electrics that we have.

Throughout the majority of the house we have light switches, combined light switch and sockets and sockets all of which have individual fuses within them.

The purpose of the post is:

1. Is it correct that if an electrical did some work on the old system that he is liable if anything goes wrong (accident etc) anywhere else within the house.

2. You cannot provide a B & B service in a house that has not been upgraded to the new standard.

Any thoughts or comments on this rather confusing situation would be helpful.

Regards,

Mike

1. Is it correct that if an electrical did some work on the old system that he is liable if anything goes wrong (accident etc) anywhere else within the house.

No, not at all; Although he should point out any obvious or dangerous faults, it would be impossible to hold someone liable for the rest of the installation. Being in the trade here, I recently attended a day's workshop at a local hotel which was run for us professionals by the main Electrical bodies in France (Promotelec and Consuel) and we would always recommend as an absolute minimum, the "mis en conformité" of an installation which covers five or six main points such as earthing and differentielle (rcd) protection (amonst other things).

2. You cannot provide a B & B service in a house that has not been upgraded to the new standard.

Oh yes you can, and I've stayed in a few places with outrageously dangerous electrics. But first check that your insurance company has no clauses regarding the state of the electrics. It would of course be in your interests to get the electric checked out by a professional. I am not sure what the main professional bodies such as GDF have as requirements for their members.

Regards,

Paul

It would be difficult to draw a line as to your responsibilities to your guests if your electrics do not conform to the current 'norms' in terms of protection. Earthing and RCDs should at the very least be sorted out.

I would imagine an insurance company wouldn't pay in the event of a claim unless you could show that you had, at least, attempted to bring the installation up to standard.

I understood that if I intervene at the fuseboard that I would or could risk becoming liable for the safety of the whole installation. It is quite easy for someone who doesn't know what they are doing to turn a relatively safe installation into a dangerous one in a couple of minutes especially if three phases are involved.