Hi All,

Here's a good one for you..

We hadn't been to the house for a good few months and when we got there I did the normal and got everything going.

The problem was with the chauffe eau, When I ran the hot taps it dispensed what could only be described as oxo coloured water, the entire contents of the tank was light brown / rust coloured.

Once the water had been flushed through all appeared fine ?!

Is this normal if the unit has been left for a long time with water in it or is it a sign of impending failure ?

Does anyone else have the same problem ?

Paul

Thanks for the reply..

The power was off and the rest of the system is copper so like you I think it's something in the CE, just wondered if it's just what happens if you leave it for several months.

Looks like a trip to the hardware store is coming up !

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Got down to the house again last week and the same problem, bisto coloured water, this time it did it every time the system reheated - conclusion it's ******ed..

Looks like the anode that protects the chauffe eau had gone and the inner shell was rotting + the relief valve was leaking so off to Mr Bricko for a new one (Looking at it I think it was the original 1989 version from the house build so probably long overdue)

Got a new 200L chauffe eau with super new quiet heater element, a stand, a great installation kit with flexible hoses and the pressure relief valve all for ~€170.

Easy to fit for a competent DIY'er although the old one weighed a ton with all the scale and rust in it, had to get the wife as well as the father in law and brother in law to help lift it out.

The best part was the instructions, to save doubt they give you a full colour picture of the underside including the wiring, great idea and really helpfull, the whole thing took a couple of hours to sort !

Hope this helps if someone is looking to do the same, it's really not that hard.