New build timberframe

RichardT.H.

Hi, First post not sure if this correct site for new build? We are about to become proud owners of land in Indre, we are looking to build a timber frame house, any ideas on cost? not from a package company but from scratch, doing as much as possible ourselves we have built in England before (brick & block). Any suggestions for an architect sympathetic to timber buildings? Many thanks

Richard  

Hello Richard

I am going through the stages of building my own house in Confolens (area 16). I have the land and have the Architects drawings which have just gone in, so I will have about two to three months before we can start the build. I'm doing a block construction. If you need an architect, contact me on [email protected]

Put 'house build' in the subject box (so that I can pick it out of the junk mail which comes from time to time).

There is much to learn about house building in France.

best of luck

Euge

"Don"t want to be a spoil sport but please please please think about termites and capricornes.

Jan"

I do not understand your postings.

In the SW of France there are huge amounts of timber-frame constructions, particularly in 24 and 47, tobacco drying barns - sechoirs - we have one. They are no more vulnerable to termite infestation than any property with wooden beams, etc in its construction - providing that the structure is built properly.

Properly planned and built timber-frame houses are as practical in France as anywhere else.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Its just my thoughts Bob.

It seems so easy and quick to build a block house using French methods. In a country where there are termites and lots of woodworm my first thoughts are the less wood the better, particularly in Depts where a termite free certificate is necessary in order to sell the house.

Jan