SILVER FOIL TYPE INSULATION

londoneye

Dear All

Forgive me as a newcomer to this forum for asking a variation on a topic which has probably bored most of you to death already.

I have a house in the Limousin area of france - dont yet live there - and need to insulate loft.    Have been looking at the (err forgive the girly description !) - silver foil type stuff - however it seems incredibly expensive at m. bricolage.    Does anyone know where it can be obtained more cheaply ?    Its the  stuff that is meant to keep house warm in winter and cool(er) in summer.    Seems to me its a lot less expensive in UK - that being so does anyone know of a UK courier service that will take largish (eg insulation roll type size !) to france at reasonable cost.    Keep trying different places and package size is always too large.

Londoneye

Price at Gedimat ( Socomat) for this stuff is 12€ a sq m, but then ordinary rockwool is not much cheaper,  There appears to be different grades of it so M Bricollage's stuff may be of better quality than Brico depot, you need to compare like with like. I am thinking of using it as I have access problems that would make rockwool rolls difficult to put in place, BUT does it work though and is it worth the premium.?

[quote]Price at Gedimat ( Socomat) for this stuff is 12€ a sq m, but then ordinary rockwool is not much cheaper, There appears to be different grades of it so M Bricollage's stuff may be of better quality t...[/quote]

It works excellently! I have used acres of it (or is that hectares?). Broadly speaking, available in 100mm or 200mm-equivalent (of fibreglass), but about 1/15th of the thickness.

Expect to pay about 6€/SqM for 100mm, about 10€ for 200mm.

Has the additional advantage of being reflective on bith sides so heat in a building is refelected back in and heat outside reflected back out. Easy to install with a staple gun, but it is impervious to air, so remember to leave a 50mm gap under roof timbers to allow air circulation.

• 2 weeks later...

Briconautes sell the 15 layered variety at €6.99 m2. Not sure if it's a permanent offer, or finishes on 15th October. If you can't see it on the shelf, ask for it. Haven't found cheaper. (But have yet to find out if it works!)

Iain