timber shutters

Guest CFrost

We have just puchased a house in Jarnac near Cognac.  I need to replace the window shutters, can any one tell what type of timber is used to make external shutters are please.

Thanks Simon

Hi

This can vary from oak to softwood. I have made new shutters for some windows over the summer using 'kits' from Leroy Merlin. They come complete with long threaded steel rods etc etc, made a good job. You do need some skills but any competant DIY person could easily manage and I used the original hinges from my very old shutters. OK not in oak but I am sure they will last me out!

Regards

Busy Bee

Hi Muppet

Shutters are made of pine (sapin) or hardwood (bois exotique). I found that Lapeyre have a good selection ad can even make exact replacements for your existing shutters.

Try www.lapeyre.fr and then click on "e-catalogue" in the top right corner. Select "l'exterieur" and then select page no 120 which is where the shutters section starts. I've just ordered some 'renovation' ones in pine and they'll be ready in about 10 days.

Nev

Hi Simon

as said earlier all sorts of timber are used. The preferred timber is western red cedar (cedre) sorry no accents. This has good water resistance and is also a lot lighter than oak. It is more expensive than more common softwoods like sapin although they will be OK too. The best method is to use a rail across the top so that the end grain is not exposed on top. Also a good idea to incorporate steel rods to strenghten and keep the timbers from warping (too much). Use french paint or varnish for wood. 

I did mine myself (fairly badly) but they will be OK for a while. The above advice is from my French menuisier friend who is very skilled and experienced.

hope you don't have to go too high up the ladders

Danny