Moss on the roof

Cassis

Does anyone know whether moss on the roof actually causes any damage, apart from the possibility of blocking gutters and downpipes?  We have a fair bit of moss on our (tiled) roof, though we are by no means as well covered as some other buildings hereabouts.  The DIY spaces seem to be full of anti-moss chemicals to spray on and some neighbours seem to regard moss on the roof as 'saloperie', but others seem not to be bothered.  There is one house in Fresnay (Alpes Mancelles) which, viewed from the parapet of the old castle ramparts, has moss inches deep all over and even ferns growing on the roof!

When I moved into present home in Essex (built 1903) one of the survey report recommendations was to remove the moss from my tiled roof. I have to assume from this that moss would ultimately damage the tiles and roof. The removal was in fact an easy process, by using a pressure jet spray I completed the job in a short time and the results looked fantastic as the tiles were returned to there original state and colour.

Baz

Thank you, Baz and John, your views aree much appreciated.  Sounds like moss is not a good thing to have on our roof, then!  I think I'll get the pressure washer out come the spring then give the roof a good dousing in anti-moss spray.  But for now I think I'll stay indoors!

All the best for 2006.

No moss will grow beneath anywhere where copper or zinc are situated. Anyone who has a zinc ridge instead of standard clay ridge tiles, or zinc ventilation grills on their French roof will see what I mean.

Antons suggestion of attaching a copper wire remedy is an old trick many Uk roofers use, when cimenting in ridge tiles. However when I first arrived in France, I mentioned it to the French roofer I now employ, and he said it was not only "interdit" in France, but unadvisable as it acts as a lightning conductor. I've never actually checked up to see whether the CSTB or DTU regs allow it or not but if anyone is thinking of doing it, then I would suggest the minimum size copper wire shoule be 6mm2 and of course bare, but more impotantly, the wire continues to the ground where it will provide an earth path for lightning.

There  are better remedies, with many chemical products on the market to help remove and then prevent moss re-growth. If the moss is well establised then it has to either be gently washed off or physically removed with a plastic scraper. Moss is detremental for roofs and should never be allowed to establish too far.

Paul

We had our  house painted white a few years back, and the painter insisted that the estimate must include treating the roof tiles with anti-mousse.

There was hardly any moss on the 10 year-old roof at the time, but there is a lot more appearing now, since it was treated!  [:(]

Angela

Get the pressure washer out come the spring.

But you must only point it down the roof, not up the roof or you will get water ingress under the tiles.  And get some chicken wire make a ball or rolled tube  and fit to the gutter out let to stop the moss from blocking you down pipes